£40.00 / month for 3 months
You are warmly invited to join us for the Spring term singing with Victoria Park Singers, conducted by Charles MacDougall.
Rehearsals will be every Wednesday at Lauriston School from 7pm to 8.30pm (some extended to 9pm), beginning on 17 January with a break for half term, working towards an end-of-term concert on Sunday 17th March.
Repertoire will include a range of styles in 3-4 part harmony. There are no auditions and all singers are welcome.
Lauriston School, 55 Rutland Road, London E9 7JS
Rehearsals from 7pm to 8.30pm
January 17, 24
Rehearsals from 7pm to 9pm
February 7, 21, 28 (no rehearsal on 14)
March 6, 13
End-of-term concert on Sunday 17th March at Holy Sepulchre Church, Holborn Viaduct EC1A 2DQ
- 15 hours of choir rehearsals
- Sheet music/lyrics for all songs (which we will supply)
- Rehearsal mp3s where appropriate
Please note that the cost of the term is fixed regardless of when you join, we do not offer a pro rata rate or pay-as-you-go option, or refunds for missed sessions. If you would like to try the choir out before committing for the term, you can book a taster session.
If you are in a position to contribute a little more to subsidise our bursary scheme, we would be grateful.
We do not want cost to be a barrier to participation. If you would like to apply for our bursary please complete this form.
Questions and answers
Q: Who can join? The choir is open to anyone. You don’t need to be able to read music. Teaching tracks (mp3s) for many pieces are provided electronically. We encourage new members to join us up to week 3 of any new term. In our experience, it may feel a little overwhelming to join after this time. This is at our discretion, so if you are a very experienced singer or feel you can dedicate the time for learning, do still drop us an email please to discuss.
Q: Is there an audition? No, but for new members we offer a quick informal voice range check to help determine which section you are best suited to (soprano, alto, tenor or bass).
Q: Will I be able to keep up? Rehearsals can move at a fairly fast pace, but if you are new or returning after a break, be assured that you will find things quickly get easier, especially if you make use of the mp3s provide, and listen to other recordings of the pieces. Many of our singers don’t sight read fluently, but learn a lot by ear. Choral singing skills take a little while to build up, but like any language the more we immerse ourselves, the more fluent we become. If we think that you would benefit from more support, there are avenues of support and opportunities that we can offer. These might include recommendations of singing lessons or music theory lessons.
Q: I’m going to miss a couple of the sessions – is it still OK to come? Yes. So long as you practice at home using the scores and mp3s, that is fine.
Q: Will there be a performance? Yes, there will be an end-of-term performance.
Q: How do I book? Please book by selecting your voice part and following the steps through the checkout process. You will be sent all the information you need by email (please keep an eye out in your ‘junk’ and ‘spam’ folders.)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. There are no refunds on membership fees.
2. Singers should be able to commit to attending 70% or more of rehearsals and are asked to sign the register at rehearsals each week.
3. We often perform without music. Singers are asked to put in the appropriate amount of time outside of rehearsals to memorise words and learn your parts. There is usually a little bit of homework each week to revise a couple of songs to ensure we are making progress at each rehearsal. MP3s of parts are supplied to help with learning.
4. Singers are required to ensure they read the weekly newsletter and communicate with us regarding any additional resources or learning.
5. When you sign up to join a choir, you agree to Hannah Brine using your data for the purposes of communicating with you about choir matters plus forthcoming events and news about the choir and Hannah’s activities. Your contact details will also be shared with the section leader so that they can send information about section-specific events (e.g. sectionals). If you do not wish to have your contact details shared for these purposes please email email@example.com.
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass, Not sure – soprano or alto, Not sure – tenor or bass
Date: January 17, 2024
Start time: 19:00
End time: 20:30
Venue: Lauriston School, 55 Rutland Road, London E9 7JS